10. huhtikuuta 2014

The Eurasian crane brings spring

Kurki - Eurasian Crane - Trana (Grus grus) was waiting for me, when I flied back to Southern Finland, to one of the places I call home. 


The huge bird is the real sign of spring, and it reminds me of my ancestors´ land in Kurkijoki - "Crane river", that was a Finnish-Carelian county by Lake Ladoga. 

This part of Finland was lost to the Soviet Union in the II nd World war. All Carelians, including my family, were evacuated to western parts of Finland.

Some part of my beeing is still an inland refugee, like the crane I´m just stopping by, there are several places on earth called home.

According to some historians Kurkijoki area was the original home of the whole Carelian tribe. The centre of Kurkijoki was located at the end of 12 km (8 miles) long beautiful fjord of Ladoga lake. 









Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti